Fried Sage is the dream, I could eat a whole plate of it. I add it to anything which is just about reasonable to finish a meal, but it works perfectly with this risotto (even for those less enamoured.)
Ingredients (Serves Four)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes- peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp. dried Rosemary
- Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion- diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves- chopped
- 300g Risotto Rice
- 150ml White Wine
- Vegetable Stock (2 tsps. Bouillon + 500ml boiling water)
- 100g Frozen Sweetcorn
- 200g Creamed Corn
- 1 tbsp. Mascarpone
- 30g Pine Nuts
- 10g Fresh Sage
- Vegetarian Parmesan style cheese (to serve)
- Balsamic Drizzle (to serve)
The Road to Deliciousness
- On a baking tray, dose the sweet potato in olive oil and dried rosemary. Roast in oven at 180c for 30 minutes.
- Fry onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent and softened. Add the risotto rice and stir in.
- Add white wine and stir until liquid is reduced by half. Then slowly add the stock, a little at a time, stirring and allowing rice to absorb the liquid, each time before you add more.
- Toast pine nuts in a saucepan, take off heat as soon as they start to brown as they continue to cook in the pan. In a separate pan fry the sage in a little olive oil until crisp.
- Add the sweetcorn and creamed corn . Let simmer for a few minutes and then add the cheese.
- Add the sweet potato, pine nuts and sage on top and sprinkle with vegetarian parmesan and a swirl of balsamic drizzle.
P.S. I always make too much risotto when going to the effort, in order to make delicious risotto balls for the next day.
Roll the risotto into small balls and then dip in egg, followed by breadcrumbs (or rice breadcrumbs to keep gluten free.) Heat oil in a pan and add the risotto balls until golden brown, yum!